FEATURES: stone and brick walls, courtyard for events, modern cellar, historic cellar, stone vaults, vineyards, olive grove, farmhouses
In an open and sunny position in the countryside of Emilia-Romagna, not far from the sea, wine estate with 57.4 ha of vineyards, modern cellar and castle. The property is currently operational for wine production (with a potential of up to 250,000 bottles per year) and the castle, thanks to its beautiful halls, is used for events and ceremonies. Four country houses in the property could be restored and repurposed into an Agriturismo.
Services are all available in the nearby town (3km; 5’) but many other centers of Emilia-Romagna, both towards the seaside and the hinterland, can be easily reached in less than two hours by car (Rimini, Cesena, Cervia, Ravenna, Bologna, Ferrara). Exiting the region, in less than three hours one can visit Florence, Padova, Venice and Urbino.
The closest airport is in Rimini (29km; 30’) but the terminals in Bologna, Ancona, Florence, Venice and Milan are equally convenient.
The castle (2,480 sqm – 26,685 sqft) was originally a simple fortified villa (dating back at least to the 12th century) which has then been expanded over the years. After ending up in the hands of the Ravenna church, the villa was converted into a convent for the Camaldolese monks in the 16th century. With the Napoleonic invasion in 1797 the building was expropriated and sold to a local noble family. Together with the family, through marriages, the property ended up in the possessions of the current owners.
Laid over four floors, the castle includes the old cellars (nowadays restored and fully accessible), many majestic halls used for events and meetings and a wine shop were wines produced in the estate are sold. In total, the many halls and the old cellars can accommodate up to 250 people.
The wine cellar (4,300 sqm – 46,268 sqft), with its modern look and lines, is located just a few tens of meters from the castle itself. The building has been realized to have optimal spaced to process grapes and produce wine and features an analysis laboratory, an automated bottling line and systems to control temperature and humidity inside the cellar. Other rooms include the administrative offices, guest acceptance rooms and a tasting area.
Scattered throughout the estate there are four country houses (roughly 800 sqm – 8,608 sqft), one of which in need of restoration. One of the other farmhouses is currently rented out to the staff of the winery. The property is then completed by a few agricultural storage rooms (80 sqm – 861 sqft in total) located right next to the farmhouses.
The estate covers a total surface of approximately 134.5 hectares (332.3 acres), almost half of which covered in arable land (76.4 ha). The remaining surface is split between an ample vineyard (57.5 ha) and a 1,200-tree olive grove (2.4 ac). Part of the arable land could be easily used to plant further vines and increase wine production.
The two courtyards on each side of the castle, one of which featuring a beautiful centuries-old olive tree at its center, are ideal for weddings and ceremonies. Outside, the castle can easily accommodate up to 500 guests.
- Vineyard surface: 57.5 hectares
- Varieties: Sangiovese (84%), Albana (5%), Sauvignon (2%), Chardonnay (2%), Riesling (2%), Cabernet Sauvignon (2%), Merlot (2%), Bombino (1%), Petit Verdot (< 1%), Ancellotta (< 1%)
- Altitude: 200 m asl
- Exposure: East-West
- Years of planting: 1968 – 2006
- Training: pruned-spur cordon, Guyot
- Soil composition: clayish
- Yearly production: up to 250,000 bottles
- Romagna DOC Sangiovese: Sangiovese 90%, Merlot 10%
- Romagna DOC Sangiovese: Sangiovese 100%
- Romagna DOC Sangiovese Superiore: Sangiovese 85%, Merlot 10%, Cabernet Sauvignon 5%
- Romagna DOC Sangiovese Superiore: Sangiovese 100%
- Romagna DOC Sangiovese Superiore Riserva: Sangiovese 85%, Merlot 5%, Cabernet Franc 5%, Cabernet Sauvignon 5%
- Rubicone IGT Rosso: Merlot 75%, Petit Verdot 15%, Cabernet Sauvignon 10%
- Rubicone IGT Chardonnay-Trebbiano: Chardonnay, Trebbiano
- Rubicone IGT Bianco: Riesling, Chardonnay
- Romagna Pagadebit DOC Secco: Bombino Bianco 100%
- Romagna Albana DOCG Secco: Albana 100%
- Romagna Albana DOCG Passito: Albana 100%
- Romagna Albana DOCG Dolce: Albana 100%
- Romagna Pagadebit DOC (Frizzante): Bombino Bianco 100%
- Rubicone IGT Rosato (Spumante): Sangiovese 100%
- Vino Spumante di Qualità (Brut): Trebbiano, Riesling, Chardonnay
- Surface: 2.4 hectares (1,200 trees)
- Cultivars: Frantoio, Correggiolo, Leccino, Moraiolo, Pendolino
- Years of planting: 1968 – 2005
- Yearly production: 30.0 hl
Other than winemaking, the castle is currently used by the owners as a venue for events and ceremonies thanks to the ample outdoor and indoor spaces available. The interiors could easily be reworked to create several bedrooms for the guests, creating an accommodation business which could be supported by guided tours in vineyards and cellar and from the vicinity to the sea and the renowned Adriatic Coast.
Town with services (3km; 5’), Rimini (17km; 20’), Cesena (17km; 20’), Cesenatico (18km; 25’), San Marino (24km; 30’), Cervia (27km; 30’), Riccione (34km; 30’), Forlì (41km; 40’), Ravenna (51km; 50’), Pesaro (59km; 45’), Urbino (83km; 1h 10’), Bologna (102km; 1h 10’), Ferrara (145km; 1h 35’), Florence (212km; 2h 30’), Padua (214km; 2h 20’), Venice (250km; 2h 30’)
Rimini Fellini (29km; 30’), Bologna Marconi (107km; 1h 5’), Ancora Raffaello Sanzio (111km; 1h 5’), Firenze Peretola (202km; 2h 5’), Verona Catullo (243; 2h 20’), Venezia Marco Polo (255km; 2h 30’), Milano Linate (312km; 3h), Milano Malpensa (366km; 3h 40’), Roma Ciampino (368km; 4h 10’), Roma Fiumicino (383km; 4h 15’)