FEATURES: master villa, stone walls, brick arches, terracotta flooring, stone fireplace, parquet flooring, professional kitchen, barrel vaults, pergola, veranda, garden, olive grove, swimming pool, solarium
In an extremely convenient location a short distance from a town of Valdarno, roughly 3 km from the A1 highway, finely restored Tuscan manor house with guest house and pool, currently run as an accommodation business (holiday house).
The villa is easily reached and is provided with all the necessary services by the nearby village (1km; 5’). Other historic towns and cities of Tuscany are easily reached in a short time frame: Montevarchi (5km; 10’), Greve in Chianti (33km; 45’), Arezzo (37km; 35’), the Renaissant Florence (45km; 45’), the medieval Siena (53km; 55’), the beautiful town of Montepulciano (69km; 55’), the turreted San Gimignano (91km; 1h 15’) and Montalcino with its famous Brunello (96km; 1h 20’).
The most convenient airports to reach the property are Firenze Peretola (65km; 45’), Pisa Galilei (126km; 1h 25’), Bologna Marconi (147km; 1h 35’), Ancona Falconara (227km; 2h 50’), Roma Ciampino (248km; 2h 40’) and Roma Fiumicino (262km; 2h 30’).
The manor house (380 sqm – 4,089 sqft) is laid out onto four floors. On the outside we have a loggia, a veranda with BBQ area, a private garden and pool with solarium.
- Basement: cellar linked with the kitchen;
- Ground floor: entrance hall, ample kitchen with dining area, living room, bathroom, laundry room, two closets, boiler room and storage room with independent access;
- First floor: living room, studio, two bedrooms with en-suite bathroom, three bedrooms and two independent bathrooms;
- Second floor: bedroom and accessible lofts.
The guest house (65 sqm – 699 sqft) is laid out on two floors only and is fitted with a private garden on the outside.
- Ground floor: small courtyard, living room, closet and kitchen;
- First floor: double bedroom with bathroom.
The origin of the house can be traced back to the early years of the Middle Ages. The location was chosen to build a watch tower and keep the nearby village under control. It was only in the 11th century that the tower was embedded inside a farmhouse owned by a powerful Ghibelline family. In 1230 the property is listed as belonging to the nearby abbey and was used as a post house for the pilgrims.
After the victorious battle of Campaldino (11 June 1289), Florence decided to fortify the Valdarno with the foundation of three castles (Castel San Giovanni, Castelfranco and Castel Santa Maria) which then became known as Terre murate (literally ‘walled lands’) del Valdarno and served a double purpose by limiting the authority of noble family, preventing riots and insurrections.
The town of Castel San Giovanni (nowadays named San Giovanni Valdarno) was built ex-novo in 1296 and took the current name only a few years later, after falling into Aretine hands.
Castelfranco (so called because it was affrancato, meaning ‘exempted’ from paying taxes) was founded three years later, in 1299, but underwent numerous changes over the years to the point that the city has almost completely lost its original look.
In 1337 the last town was founded, Castel Santa Maria. Almost immediately, its inhabitants started using the name Terra Nuova for their city and after a decade the name became official with the spelling Terranuova. In 1862 the name Bracciolini was added to the toponym to honor the famous humanist Giovanni Francesco Bracciolini, born in Terranuova in 1380. He was responsible for the discovery and publication of several Latin classics which were thought lost forever, such as the De Rerum Natura and the Institutio Oratoria.
During World War II, being really close to the combat frontline, the villa was used by the Allied command as headquarter for war operations.
The renovation carried out in 1983 brought the building back to its original look, but it was with the 2006 renovation (by the current owners) that the building saw its beautiful finishes highlighted and the installation of modern appliances for the 21st century life.
The property is made up of 1.2 hectares of land. The surface is split among woodland (2,130 sqm), garden with trees (1,210 sqm), mixed fruit orchard (7,475 sqm) and a productive olive grove (1,140 sqm).
Right next to the house is located a nice 8 x 4 m swimming pool.
The villa has been carefully renovated and equipped with modern comforts and is currently run as an accommodation business. What’s more, the vicinity to the most appreciated towns of Tuscany makes the location even more pleasant. However, it is always possible to use the villa as a private residence.
Town with services (1km, 5’), Montevarchi (5km; 10’), Greve in Chianti (33km; 45’), Arezzo (37km; 35’), Florence (45km; 45’), Siena (53km; 55’), Montepulciano (69km; 55’), San Gimignano (91km; 1h 15’), Montalcino (96km; 1h 20’)
Firenze Peretola (65km; 45’), Pisa Galilei (126km; 1h 25’), Bologna Marconi (147km; 1h 35’), Ancona Falconara (227km; 2h 50’), Roma Ciampino (248km; 2h 40’), Roma Fiumicino (262km; 2h 30’)