FEATURES: sea view villa, covered terraces, stone walls, pergola, garden, bright and ample rooms, parquet flooring on the first floor, granite flooring on the ground floor
On the beautiful Isola del Giglio, more precisely in Giglio Porto, not far from the coasts of Tuscany, convenient sea view villa with garden.
The villa is located roughly 250 m from the seaside, in a very quiet town providing all the services, and can be easily reached from Porto Santo Stefano (in the Argentario promontory) in a one-hour ferry travel. Once the mainland is reached, other locations of central Italy are quickly reachable: the beautiful beaches of Orbetello (11km; 20’), Talamone (27km; 35’) and Punta Ala (96km; 1h 30’), the Etruscan town of Tarquinia (66km; 1h 5’) and of course the wonderful and unrivaled Rome (164km; 2h 20’).
The most useful airports to reach the Porto Santo Stefano and set sail are Grosseto Baccarini (48km; 50’), Roma Fiumicino (145km; 1h 45’), Roma Ciampino (165km; 2h) and Pisa Galilei (202km; 2h 15’).
The villa (120 sqm – 1,291 sqft) is laid out onto two floors including two ample living rooms, a fully-equipped kitchen, two bedrooms (one of which very spacious), three bathrooms, a laundry room and some closets (one of which located outside). The building has been recently renovated and is in excellent conditions, with quality finishes. Several wall-closets offer much room for clothes and personal objects. The first floor offers a direct view over the sea.
On the rear, the house boasts a nice garden decorated with flower and fruit trees, ideal to enjoy the pleasant climate of the island alone or with friends. The terraces around the house are spacious and can host tables and chairs for al fresco dining.
Access to the villa is granted by an external staircase.
The electric and hydraulic systems of the house have been completely remade complying with the most modern standards, considering that the use of sea salty water had led to the damaging of plumbings.
The island was well known by Greeks mariners in ancient times. The very toponym Giglio is nonetheless ambiguous: it has no links with the homonym flower (the lily, symbol of Florence), but is a medieval corruption (Gilio) of a Latin name (Igilium) which was in turn a calque of the Greek toponym (ΑιγŌćλιον) given to the island for the presence of many goats (αőĮγες).
Historically, the island was already inhabited during the Stone Age. Etruscans built a fortress, which was then conquered and incorporated in Roman fortifications (Caesar mentions the island in his De Bello Civili). In 805 Isola del Giglio was gifted by Charlemagne to the Cistercian monks of the Tre Fontane in Rome but during the Middle Ages it passed through the hands of many important families such as Aldobrandeschi, Pannocchieschi, Caetani only to end up in the hands of Perugia at last. In 1264 the island was conquered by Pisa and from here it ended up as part of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany. The last few military events in the island revolved around pushing back Barbary pirates’ attack which ultimately stopped in 1799. The militia on the island was on duty until 1860, when it was disbanded after the institution of the Kingdom of Italy.
The villa offers a private residence with ample rooms and a convenient access and grants an excellent privacy for those looking for a quiet and retired life in one of the most beautiful locations of Italy. Typical features of the villa are the ample spaces available, uncommon for a house in a town, and which allows storing inside even the equipment for a possible boat during winter.
Distances are calculated from the town of Porto Santo Stefano, which can be reached via ferryboat in less than a hour. Orbetello (11km; 20‚Äô), Talamone (27km; 35‚Äô), Grosseto (47km; 45‚Äô), Tarquinia (66km; 1h 5‚Äô), Punta Ala (96km; 1h 30‚Äô), Rome (164km; 2h 20‚Äô)
Grosseto Baccarini (48km; 50‚Äô), Roma Fiumicino (145km; 1h 45‚Äô), Roma Ciampino (165km; 2h), Pisa Galilei (202km; 2h 15‚Äô)