THE HOMELAND OF BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO
The Val d’Orcia is one of the most fascinating regions of Italy. It is located in the southern Tuscany and is entirely included in the province of Siena. It takes its name from the river Orcia and is recognizable for beautiful landscapes made of rolling hills covered in vineyards, olive groves, cypresses, chestnuts, farmhouses, castles and medieval hamlets. Castiglione d’Orcia, Montalcino, Pienza, Radicofani and San Quirico d’Orcia are the main municipalities of the area. The whole Val d’Orcia appears in the list of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites, together with the historic centre of Pienza. The Val d’Orcia was crossed in Roman age by the Via Cassia and then, during the Middle Age, by the Via Francigena. Nowadays the area in known all over the world for art, history, landscape and wines. The nature and beauties of Val d’Orcia inspired artists of the Middle ages and the Renaissant in their masterworks.
Agriculture is the main activity in Val d’Orcia, mainly for wines, among which the Brunello di Montalcino is the real excellence.
The land is dotted by abbeys, old hamlets and beautiful medieval castles. To protect nature, traditions, cultural roots and typical dishes of the Val d’Orcia the Parco Naturale e Culturale della Val d’Orcia has been instituted.
Through Romolini Immobiliare – Christie’s International Real Estate it is possible to rent luxury villas, farmhouses with pool, medieval towers, Relais, hotels, Agriturismos, luxury apartments, prestigious villas with pool, stone country houses, luxury properties and period villas in the most beautiful locations of Val d’Orcia.
THE FASCINATING TOWNS OF VAL D’ORCIA
- Castiglione d’Orcia is a small town nested up on a cliff. In its historic centre is located the main square celebrating Lorenzo di Pietro (better known as Il Vecchietta).Here one can admire a beautiful travertine well dating back to the 1618. Among the best landmarks of the town one must cite the Palazzo Comunale, the Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena and the Rocca di Tentennano.
- Montalcino is a town known all over the world for its superb wine, but also for its beautiful medieval centre with the 14th century keep. Known landmarks are the Palazzo Comunale and its tower, the Gothic Loggia, the Chiesa di Sant’Agostino, the Museo Civico e Diocesiano and the Piazza del Popolo (people square). Over 3,000 hectares of vineyard offer an incredible view and the production of an excellent wine.
- Pienza is a beautiful town whose historic centre has been included in the World Heritage List of UNESCO. The town’s name was originally Corsignano: the name was changed in the 15th century to celebrate the newly elected pope Pius II. He was so disappointed by the ruin of his birthplace that ordered it to be rebuilt following the criteria of the Ideal city between the 1459 and 1462. The newborn Pienza started a new life. Landmarks worth visiting are Piazza Pio II, the Cattedrale dell’Assunta, Palazzo Piccolomini, the Chiesa di San Francesco, Palazzo Ammannati, the impressive ramparts and the Palazzo Comunale. Not far from the town are located the beautiful fortified hamlets of Monticchiello and Spedaletto.
- Radicofani is located in the southern part of Val d’Orcia. Symbol of the town is the 11th century fortress built at the border between the State of the Church and the Grand Duchy of Tuscany. Other landmarks are the Chiesa di San Pietro, the Chiesa di Sant’Agata, Palazzo Pretorio and Palazzo della Posta.
- San Quirico d’Orcia developed around the old medieval town of Osenna. The center is surrounded by walls and offers an incredible view. Places worth visiting are the Collegiata dei Santi Quirico e Giulietta, the Chiesa della Misericordia, Palazzo Pretorio, Palazzo Chigi and Santa Maria di Vitaleta, the Horti Leonini and the Ospedale della Scala. Not far from the town is located Bagno Vignoni, a thermal center already famous in the Middle ages.
- At the border between Val d’Orcia and Valdichiana is located Montepulciano, a beautiful medieval town mainly known for its Vino Nobile DOCG. Among the most beautiful monuments are the Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta (the main cathedral), Palazzo Nobili Tarugi, the Poliziano Theater and the Chiesa di San Biagio. Symbol of Montepulciano is, however, the famous Vino Nobile. It is produced by using Sangiovese (70% minimum) and Canaiolo Nero (20% maximum) with small percentages of other grapes (up to 20%). The wine must then be aged and there are several ways to do that: 24 months in wooden barrels, 18 months in wooden barrels plus 6 months in other containers…
- On the hills of Val d’Orcia (near the Valdichiana) is located Sarteano. The most interesting landmarks of this town are the keep, the Chiesa di San Francesco, the Castello delle Moiane and the monument to the fallen.
In the most beautiful places of Val d’Orcia Romolini Immobiliare – Christie’s International Real Estate offers an ample choice of Agriturismos, farmhouses with pool, medieval towers, Relais, luxury villas, exclusive apartments, stone country house, hotels and prestigious properties for rent.
BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO
The best product of Val d’Orcia is without a doubt the Brunello di Montalcino, a red wine of excellent quality and appreciated in every part of the world. This wine started being valorized in the 1950s and became one of the symbols of Italy in the second half of the century after World War II. The Brunello can only be produced inside the municipality of Montalcino by using only Sangiovese grapes.
Ferruccio Biondi Santi is considered the “inventor” of this extraordinary wine. At the end of the 19th century he decided to abandon Canaiolo, Ciliegiolo and Colorino to focus on Sangiovese. In 1960, the Brunello obtained the DOC certification, and in 1980 it was the first Italian wine to be awarded the DOCG certificate. Its growth was slowed first by the high price and then by an epidemics which destroyed many of the vineyards in 1930.
In 1967 the Consorzio del Vino Brunello di Montalcino was founded to protect the wine and exalt its main aspects. The Brunello is a harmonic and elegant wine, getting better with ageing, but needs a careful storage in a fresh, dark, silent, odorless cellar with bottle lying on their side.
The wine is served at ambient temperature and is perfect with red meats, game (mainly boar), cheeses and mushrooms.
With Romolini Immobiliare – Christie’s International Real Estate it is possible to rent Agriturismo, luxury villas and period villas in the land of the Brunello di Montalcino.
GLI ALTRI VINI PREGIATI DI MONTALCINO
- The Rosso di Montalcino is a red DOC wine produced with Sangiovese grapes as the Brunello, but is much younger. While the production area is the same as the Brunello, the procedural guideline is different, since the wine has a much shorter ageing period.
- The Sant’Antimo is a DOC wine produced in the Montalcino area and available in multiple types: red, Novello, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Nero, white, Chardonnay, Sauvignon, Pinot Gris and Vinsanto.
- The Moscadello di Montalcino is a DOC dessert wine produced with a base of Moscato.
- The Orcia DOC is a class of wines produced in Val d’Orcia mainly using Sangiovese as base (60% minimum). Here are the various types of wine: red (also Riserva), rosé, white, Sangiovese (also Riserva) and Vinsanto.
By contacting Romolini Immobiliare – Christie’s International Real Estate it is possible to rent luxury villas, farmhouses, medieval towers, Relais, hotels, agriturismo, luxury apartments, exclusive villas with pool and luxury properties in the most appreciated corners of Val d’Orcia and Tuscany.
If you couldn’t find what you were looking for, subscribe to our NEWSLETTER and we’ll get in touch with you a soon as a property suitable for you is available.
On the hills between Val dâOrcia and Maremma, this 21.5-ha estate is well known for its organically certified and prize-winning Olivastra olive oil; the production is approximately 7 hl of oil per year. The vineyard (1.3 ha) also produces organically certified and award-winning wines like Rosso DOC Maremma Toscana (up to 5,000 bottles per year). The estate has a top-class name in the short term rental business and would lend itself perfectly as a small boutique hotel business.
In the Sienese countryside, not far from Montalcino, this wine estate covers a total surface of 51.9 ha. In total, roughly 5.0 ha of vineyards (3.0 ha Brunello di Montalcino + 1.5 ha SantâAntimo Rosso + 0.5 ha Rosso di Montalcino) and two cellars allow producing a maximum of 38,500 bottles of wine per year. Finally 1,200 olive trees produce approximately 1.5 tons of olive oil.
On the hills of Montalcino, in the heart of Tuscany, this wine estate offers a total of 11.2 hectares of vineyards (7.0 ha Brunello di Montalcino + 0.9 ha Rosso di Montalcino + 3.3 ha IGT Toscana) and a newly-built cellar which, at full regime, would allow producing up to 560 hl of wine (equaling 75,000 bottles per year).
In the heart of Val d'Orcia, n the small fortified hamlet of Monticchiello, dating back to the 755, in panoramic position 570 m above sea level, this medieval tower is ideal for those looking for a countryside residence located two steps from a town.
Price upon request
On the hills of Cetona, we find this 18-ha estate (7 ha olive grove + 11 ha woodland) with 16th-century villa. The manor villa offers a total of 600 sqm for 8 bedrooms and is rented out with excellent results. The olive grove (roughly 2,000 trees) produces an excellent âTerre di Siena DOPâ (registered trademark) olive oil which is exploited both as a condiment and as a cosmetic base for a Natural Skincare product.
Price upon request
On the hills of Montalcino, this multi-awarded wine estate is the ideal investment opportunity for anyone looking for a well-established business. The estate boasts 16.2 ha of vineyards (7.7 ha Brunello di Montalcino + 3.7 ha Rosso di Montalcino + 4.8 ha SantâAntimo Rosso) and produces roughly 80,000 bottles of wine per year. Wine stock is included in the selling price.
Located just outside Montepulciano, with a spectacular view over the historic center of the town, this farmhouse with annex offers 327 sqm of surface (3 bedrooms) and could be used in a small accommodation business. The property includes a heated swimming pool, a BBQ area and approximately 2.3 ha of land with olive grove and garden.
On the hills of the Tuscan countryside, not far from the beautiful Pienza, this typical 360 sqm farmhouse plus 100 sqm recovery is a piece of history. The building has been carefully restored, preserving all the unique traits of the Tuscan countryside. 37 hectares of land are organically exploited and include a vineyard (3.3 ha), an olive grove (9 ha), a fruit orchard and a truffle ground, all comprised inside a wildlife hunting reserve.
A short distance from Montalcino, this 32.6-ha estate offers an Agriturismo and an excellent winery. 4.3 ha of vineyards (3.3 ha Brunello di Montalcino + 0.7 ha Rosso di Montalcino + 0.3 ha Sant'Antimo) allow producing up to 45,000 bottles of wine per year. The Agriturismo offers 7 apartments for the guests.
Beautiful 301.8-ha wine estate for sale in Val dâOrcia, in the province of Siena. The main hamlet hosts a beautifully restored manor villa and the winery headquarters. Several buildings to be restored complete the property for a total of 7,680 sqm and 18+ bedrooms. The Orcia DOC vineyards (16.4 ha) allow producing a theoretical maximum of 280,000 bottles of wine per year.
CONTACT US AND WE WILL BE IN TOUCH AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!